Royal Sovereign joined the 1st Battle Squadron of the Grand Fleet at Scapa Flow. In April 1919 the Grand Fleet was renamed Atlantic Fleet. The 1st Battle Squadron was detached to Turkish waters and the Black Sea in January 1920, not returning to the Atlantic Fleet until July 1920. But in the autumn of that year she was damaged in collision with Tiger at Portland and paid off for refit and repairs in January 1921. She remained in reserve until September 1922, having been refitted May-September, and recommissioned for the 1st Battle Squadron, Atlantic Fleet again on 3 October 1922. She served with the Atlantic Fleet until 1926, being transferred to the Mediterranean in December that year. During this period she received extensive refits from October 1927 to June 1928 and from January to November 1932. In 1935 she was transferred to the Home Fleet but by January 1936 she was employed as a training ship and remained so until the outbreak of war. She was again refitted from June 1937 to February 1938 at Devonport.
In October 1939 she joined the North Atlantic Escort Force at Halifax, NS, as Flagship, returning to Plymouth to refit in December prior to her transfer to the Mediterranean in May 1940. With the 1st Battle Squadron, she was present at the action off Calabria in July 1940, but did not get a chance to open fire. She left this theatre again in August to return to the North Atlantic Escort Force. Sailing via the Cape, and undergoing a refit at Durban September-October, she did not reach Halifax until December. From then until August 1941 she served as Flag, 3rd Battle Squadron, being refitted at Norfolk Va., May-June 1941, until selected for the Eastern Fleet. She returned home and was refitted at Glasgow August-October, being officially transferred to the Eastern Fleet at the end of this refit. She remained with the Eastern Fleet at Colombo until April 1942, and was then based at Kilindini until January 1944 when she moved to Trincomalee. During this period she was employed on convoy duties in the Indian Ocean, interrupted by a refit in Philadelphia from 1942 to October 1943, after which she was ordered home and paid off into care and maintenance at Rosyth on 5 November 1943. On 30 May 1944 she was transferred to the USSR as Archangelsk, the only battleship to change flag during WW2, and sailed for Russia on 17 August 1944. Archangelsk, ex-Royal Sovereign, was handed back to Britain on 9 February 1949 and then handed over to BISCO for disposal on 5 April, being allocated to T. W. Ward for scrapping at Inverkeithing where she arrived on 18 May 1949.
Royal Sovereign - prewar
Royal Sovereign - probably 1936
Royal Sovereign - prewar