Return to Home Page


Pages viewed today - 15
Most pages viewed - 4,550
Photo Votes - 1,145,420
Last ship vote - Kent; Gd
Most votes in a day - 2,100
Votes today - 0
Users Online - 69

HMS Dido (C37)

Dido Class Light Cruiser

in her original state with only four 5.25in turrets, lacking Q. She was heavily damaged following the evacuation of Heraklion and B turret was destroyed. She was repaired in the USA at which time she got her third fore turret in place of the 4in starshell gun fitted here.
in her original state with only four 5.25in turrets, lacking Q. She was heavily damaged following the evacuation of Heraklion and B turret was destroyed. She was repaired in the USA at which time she got her third fore turret in place of the 4in starshell gun fitted here.
Rate this photo

Votes338
score6.861
rank753

Built by Cammel Laird, Birkenhead. Laid Down 26 October 1937.

Launched 18 July 1939. Completed 30 September 1940.

Bombed off Crete 29/5/41 - repaired Simonstown and Brooklyn 7/41 - 12/41.

Paid off 1947. In reserve 1947-1956. Broken up by Ward, Barrow, 1958.

Should you wish to learn more about life aboard Dido, and about some of the men who served in her, visit HMS Dido Association.

Dido joined the 15th Cruiser Squadron with the Home Fleet on completion, and took part in operations against German warships following the sinking of Jervis Bay in November 1940. In April 1941 she was sent to reinforce the Mediterranean Fleet, taking part in the operations around Crete and in the Red Sea during the assault on Assab. She was hit by a bomb off Crete, and, after temporary repairs at Durban and Simonstown, went to Brooklyn Navy yard for refit and repair from 10 August to 3 December 1941. Back in the Mediterranean, she covered Malta convoys, participated in the 2nd Battle of Sirte, bombarded the North African coast and, by January 1943, was part of Force Q at Bone. She came home to refit between April and June 1943, then returned for the invasion of Sicily, followed by the Anzio landings and gunfire support duties along the Italian coastline. In August 1944 she was part of the naval force for the landings in the south of France before returning home, where she operated in Arctic waters and off the Norwegian coast until the end of the war. Postwar she joined the 10th Cruiser Squadron and later, after refit during March-August 1946, the 2nd Cruiser Squadron, but paid off in October 1947. After ten years in reserve in the Gairloch (1947/51) and at Portsmouth (1951/58) she arrived at Barrow-in-Furness on 18 July 1957 to be scrapped by T W. Ward.

as completed, apparently taken at the same time as the photo above
as completed, apparently taken at the same time as the photo above
Rate this photo

Votes362
score6.865
rank719

Dido
Dido
Rate this photo

Votes133
score5.902
rank1,861

at St Helena after the battle for Crete - note B turret is missing
at St Helena after the battle for Crete - note B turret is missing
Rate this photo

Votes171
score6.813
rank1,149

the remains of B turret
the remains of B turret
Rate this photo

Votes154
score6.818
rank1,123

at Brooklyn after the refit and addition of Q turret
at Brooklyn after the refit and addition of Q turret
Rate this photo

Votes246
score6.858
rank792

Dido
Dido
Rate this photo

Votes150
score5.993
rank1,845

bombarding shore targets in Italy taken from a US destroyer
bombarding shore targets in Italy taken from a US destroyer
Rate this photo

Votes118
score6.890
rank467

postwar
postwar
Rate this photo

Votes335
score6.922
rank284

data-matched-content-rows-num="6" data-matched-content-columns-num="1" data-ad-format="autorelaxed"> data-matched-content-ui-type="image_sidebyside"