Return to Home Page


Pages viewed today - 631
Most pages viewed - 4,550
Photo Votes - 1,147,651
Last ship vote - Edinburgh; Ex
Most votes in a day - 2,100
Votes today - 0
Users Online - 58

HMS Caledon

Caledon Class Light Cruiser

Rate this photo

Votes184
score6.804
rank1,205

 Built by Cammell Laird. Laid Down 17 March 1916.

Launched 25 November 1916. Completed 6 March 1917.

Scrapped Dover 1948

Unchanged until 1942 when she was converted into an AA cruiser. All original guns and torpedos were removed and she received 3 twin 4in, 2 twin Bofors and 6 twin 20mm, with a full radar outfit.

June 1944 - re-armed as an AA vessel
June 1944 - re-armed as an AA vessel
Rate this photo

Votes176
score6.790
rank1,257

Caledon served with the Grand Fleet, 6th Light Cruiser Squadron, and later became Flagship, 1st LCS 1917/19, and saw action in the Heligoland Bight on 17 November 1917, when she was struck by a 12in shell. She then went to the Home and Atlantic Fleets during 1919-26, serving with the 2nd LCS. During this period she was detached to the Mediterranean (September 1922) and Baltic (January 1923). Paid off for refit on 17 August 1926, she subsequently joined the 3rd Cruiser Squadron in the Mediterranean on 5 September 1927. She reduced to reserve on 31 July 1931, until brought forward again in 1939 to join the 7th Cruiser Squadron, and was at Scapa Flow in August 1939. She was initially employed on the Northern Patrol until the summer of 1940 (joining the 12th Cruiser Squadron in October 1939), after which she was deployed to the Mediterranean, where she joined the 3rd Cruiser Squadron at Alexandria. Following convoy escort duties in the eastern Mediterranean, Caledon served in the Red Sea from August, during the campaign in British Somaliland, where she covered the evacuation of Berbera and bombarded shore positions. She remained in this theatre into 1941, having survived a brief plan to use her as a blockship at Tripoli in April/May. In 1941 she was under refit at Colombo between August and October for service with the Eastern Fleet, operating in the Indian Ocean in 1942. She returned to Chatham for conversion into an AA cruiser, which was carried out between 14 September 1942 and 7 December 1943, this being the last such C class conversion, and a somewhat leisurely process. After conversion she worked up with the. Home Fleet, then served in the Mediterranean, defending convoys against Luftwaffe attacks from bases in the south of France. She was at the Dragoon landings in Provence in August 1944, then went to the eastern Mediterranean at the end of the year, where she operated in Greek waters. In 1945 she came home to be disarmed, and was placed in reserve by the end of the war in Europe. She was laid up in the Fal in 1946, then handed over for scrapping on 22 January 1948, arriving at the yard of Dover Industries, Dover, for breaking up, on 14 February 1948.

Caledon
Caledon
Rate this photo

Votes190
score6.837
rank996

Caledon
Caledon
Rate this photo

Votes143
score6.825
rank1,078

Caledon passing the Greek destroyer Navarinon (ex RN Echo) in 1944
Caledon passing the Greek destroyer Navarinon (ex RN Echo) in 1944
Rate this photo

Votes156
score6.769
rank1,322

1945
1945
Rate this photo

Votes133
score6.820
rank1,119

disarmed, postwar
disarmed, postwar
Rate this photo

Votes118
score6.754
rank1,370

data-matched-content-rows-num="6" data-matched-content-columns-num="1" data-ad-format="autorelaxed"> data-matched-content-ui-type="image_sidebyside"