Return to Home Page


Pages viewed today - 261
Most pages viewed - 4,550
Photo Votes - 1,035,318
Last ship vote - Rodney; OK
Most votes in a day - 2,100
Votes today - 1
Users Online - 71

HMS Mauritius (C80)

Fiji Class Light Cruiser

Devonport after refit, April 1942
Rate this photo

281
6.918
527

 Built by Swan Hunter, Wallsend. Laid Down 31 March 1938.

Launched 19 July 1939. Completed 4 January 1941.

Paid off 1952. In reserve 1953-1960, then placed on disposal list. Broken up by Ward, Inverkeithing, 1965.

For additional pictures of Mauritius see the Best Photos pages.

Mauritius operated on trade protection duties in the Atlantic on completion, and remained with the Home Fleet until going to the East Indies late in 1941. She joined the Eastern Fleet in 1942, but was withdrawn in April 1943 to reinforce the Mediterranean Fleet. After repairs following grounding, she was operational in June 1943 and thereafter participated in the landings in Sicily, Operation Husky, in July as a unit of Support Force East, when she carried out shore bombardment duties. In September she was part of the covering force for the Salerno landings, but by the end of the year had been transferred to the Bay of Biscay to carry out anti-blockade-runner patrols. However, she soon returned to the Mediterranean, this time for the Anzio landings in January 1944. In June 1944 she covered the landings in Normandy as part of Force D off Sword Beach, then carried out offensive patrols of the Brittany coast in August to mop up the remnants of the German shipping in the area. Operating with destroyers, she sank Sperrbrecher 157 on 14/15 August and five Vorpostenboote on 22/23 August. After this she returned to the Home Fleet, covering the carrier raids along the Norwegian coast and making anti-shipping strikes herself. In January 1945, in company with Diadem, she fought an action with German destroyers in which Z31 was badly damaged. Following this action she was refitted at Cammell-Laird's between February 1945 and March 1946, then went out to the Mediterranean for the 15th (later lst) Cruiser Squadron, returning to the UK in 1948. After a spell in reserve and in refit, she recommissioned in 1949 for the 1st Cruiser Squadron in the Mediterranean, sailing on 6 May 1949. However, the years 1949 to 1951 were spent on the East Indies Station with the 4th Cruiser Squadron until she returned to Chatham on 18 December 1951. She was placed in reserve in 1952 and remained there until 1965, when she was sold for scrapping, arriving at T. W. Ward Ltd, Inverkeithing, on 27 March 1965.

1941
Rate this photo

250
6.912
631

taken by the ships Walrus on convoy duty
Rate this photo

1,974
6.942
215

for a painting of this photo, follow this link

Mauritius 1942
Rate this photo

104
6.385
1,760

Mauritius
Rate this photo

468
6.925
403

Mauritius
Rate this photo

1,640
6.941
234

Mauritius postwar
Rate this photo

122
6.451
1,730

1965 - awaiting the breakers
Rate this photo

149
6.825
1,301